Search the offerHotelsPrivate accommodationApartmentsRooms HousesRestaurants Caffe_bar
Blue IstriaBalleBanjoleFazanaLabinLiznjanMarcanaMedulin
Green IstriaBarbanBrtoniglaBujeBuzetCerovljeGracisceGroznjan
  • Plomin
  • Searches


  • Bookmark this page
  • This function allows you to record which sites you like for later comparison, sending a group of enquiries, etcetera. Recorded sites appear in the right column above, under "Bookmarks" tabs, and are not stored in your browser favorites!

Plomin, ancient Flanona, is a place of great stories and beautiful landscape. This apparently sleepy town has a rich thousand-year-old history. The fortified town is situated above a blue-green gulf and overlooks Kvarner. Founded back in prehistoric times, when the residents vigilantly observed and celebrated the forces of Nature, it has still preserved a close connection with the rhythm of Nature. Even today there is a bellflower of Plomin on its fort, a protected purple flower that enchants the whole area with its mystical color. Its stone buildings vividly evoke the period of the reign of the god Silvan- the ancient protector of plants and animals, the Liburni pirates and their marine adventures, the ancient Romans and their mighty edifices, church dignitaries and guardians of religion, the centuries-old port and skilled seafarers, big battles in front of its door and the quietness which today it offers every visitor.

The rich history of the former centre and its important residents can be seen at every step, through the old Glagolitic reliefs , the high walls which still resist any wind, the Renaissance and Baroque buildings that show all the splendor and pride of the traders,  craftsmen and important dignitaries of that period. The port of Plomin still has the splendor of the Roman rulers, their constructions and the powerful images of that time in a variety of colorful mosaics. Plomin is a traditional city after which Kvarner got its name of Sinus Flanaticus, putting the stamp on all times and the people to come. It has a spirit of timelessness, combining history and a view on the sea, perfectly depicting the circle of life.

The history of Plomin dates far back into the past. Life existed here in the 2nd century BC when a village was built on this site. Here lived the old Liburni, ancient navigators and pirates. The arrival of the Romans brought a time of battles and  a struggle for supremacy. The first written trace of Old Plomin dates back to 100 years BC and was written by Artemidor from Ephesus. During the Roman Empire, Plomin became a municipality. Life moved to the Plomin bay and because of the importance of Plomin, called Flanone,  all ofKvarner was named Sinus Flanaticus. It was also written that Pliny the Elder called its inhabitants Flanates and Flamonienses Vanienses. Like the rest of Istria, the former residents under Roman influence accepted their beliefs, and from that period there remains a relief of the pagan god Silvanus, the protector of flora and fauna, which today is the church of St. George.

After the fall of Rome, the Ostrogoths from the east came to Plomin, after which Plomin was ruled by Byzantium and then by the Longobards. During the Middle Ages, for safety reasons, the residents moved once again to the place of prehistoric ruins, today’s Plomin. After the arrival of the Franks in 788, feudalism was introduced and Istria was permanently inhabited by Croats. From 1208 Plomin was ruled by the patriarchy of Aquileia until 1420 when it fell under the authority of the Venetian Republic. In that period it became the most exposed Venecian fortress on the eastern coast of Istria and the place of numerous battles. Plomin was brutally destroyed in 1599 by the Uskoci. After the fall of Venice in 1797, Plomin fell under French rule and then under the Austrian.  During the First World War this territory was under Italian occupation and during the Second World War came the German soldiers. With the end of the war Plomin was annexed to Yugoslavia and finally in 1991 to the sovereign Republic of Croatia.

The church of St. George the Old - from the 11th  century, with an antique relief of the  pagan god Silvanus and valuable Glagolitic inscription called the Plomin inscription. Along with the church a Romanesque bell tower is also preserved.
The parish church of the Blessed Virgin Mary - from the 15th century with a Gothic crucifix, stone Custody with Glagolitic inscriptions, wooden statues of saints and an altar from the 17th century
Walls and fortifications - built between the 13th and the 14th century and then between the 16th and 17th century
Old city - boasts many buildings with preserved Renaissance and Baroque features, the main lodge and the idyllic streets
Vidikovac - this place offers a beautiful view of the bay and the islands so it is a must see for many visitors

Fishermen's Festival, Plomin Luka - folk festival with entertainment and sports programs - 08.08.
Bela Nedjelja - folk festival with cultural and entertainment program -10.10.
Baći - a traditional religious holiday where the faithful pilgrimage to the church of St. Catherine - 25.11.

Your searches

    Sponsored ads