Sveti Petar u Sumi
Sveti Petar u Šumi
Surrounded by old woods and located on a hilly plateau,
S. Petar u Šumi, the seat of the smallest municipality in Istria, is the most unusual Istrian town. A typical Istrian
architecture is less frequent here, but the northern impact is noticeable in its construction. Houses scattered throughout
Sveti Petar are still covered with stone shutters, grey because of the time passing.
The town is widely known for its
beautiful baroque church of St. Peter and Paul and Pauline monastery, with stone walls and surrounded by gardens and a large
square in front of the church and monastery. Here one of the oldest Glagolitic monuments was found- the Fragment from Supetar
Sv. Petar u šumi is a quiet agricultural area with excellent fertile land where people
have always lived in harmony and shared mutual respect with nature and its gifts.
It is a country of forests and meadows,
spiritual monuments, deep silence and converting of the soul. Holy oak tree woods that talk to you and accept you, will touch
you in a natural, warm, friendly way while the hosts of nearby rural farms will bring to the table all gastronomic delicacies
typical for this hidden area.
The Sv.Petar u šumi
area has been inhabited since antiquity and the foundings from those ancient times are stored in a museum in Trieste.
area is located in the territory of St.Tommaso, where once stood the fort of the ancient civilization Histri at an altitude
of 300 meters. After that, a castle existed from which no trace can be found. It was first mentioned in 1102. Its name was
Vicinato, while in the Middle Ages, specifically in 1443, it was mentioned as Castrum Vicinatus or Vicini and also Vicino
San Pietro. It was located in an area that was later occupied by the church of San Tommaso, now gone. In 1134, the Benedictine
monastery was founded which, in 1459, became Pauline. The name "Pauline" was given to the order by St. Pavao Tebanski who
is considered the first hermit (he lived at the turn of the 4th century) later becoming a model and patron of the future order
of the Pauline. They call them "white monks" because they wear white clothing. The small cemetery is located in the old church
of San Rocco, a former parish church until 1783. The church has maintained its grey appearance and is still covered with stone
Church of St. Peter
and Paul - from 1755. It is well known for its unique gilded leather wallpapers. It keeps the miraculous image of Our
Lady which, according to stories, wept tears of blood.
Pauline Monastery - built in
the 12th century, upgraded in the 13th and 15th century. Around 1770, in Supetar monastery lectures in philosophy were organized,
and we can say that at least for a short time in the monastery, the Faculty of philosophy existed.
- is mentioned in written sources from 1102 as Curitico. Today, Kringa is known by Jure Grande, the oldest European vampire
and unusual events described by John Weikard Valvasor. According to the legend, the vampire terrorized the locals for 16 long
years, getting up from the grave, until 1672 when the locals exhumed the grave, pierced him with a hawthorn stake and cut
his head off. Kringa itself is a lovely town adorned at the entrance by the Calvary from 1876 and a big ladonja (local tree)
as well as a large square with two wells.
Muntrilj, church of St.Rocco - dates back
from the 17th century. The saved registers at its inside testify of the use of the old Croatian script - Glagolitic until
the nineteenth century. The bell tower, 21 meters high, was built in 1890.
Kringa- lovers of vampire literature in Kringa gather from 11.08. to 12.08. at the Festival
of fantasy literature, the competition of best-written stories about vampires.
the international ham fair is held at the end of October as well as the traditional festival of pruning hooks and other forging
products from all over Istria.
Muntrilj-Rokova -the festival takes place in mid August.